Maintenance Miracle - An Autonomous Maintenance Kaizen Event - Fall 2020
2020 Fall Session – Check back for dates... - a 3 ½ day certificate program
This certificate program teaches the 7-steps of Autonomous Maintenance and demonstrates the process for conducting AM steps 1-3 in your facility. Designed for production, maintenance and engineering managers, supervisors, team leaders and process owners interested in improving equipment and process reliability and safety.Register Now
Why do you need TPM?
TPM is the foundation of equipment/process reliability and reliability is the enabler to Lean.
- Zero accidents
- Zero unplanned downtime
- Zero speed losses
- Zero defects
- Minimum life cycle costs
PM/AM raises APQ (availability, performance, quality).
- 67% reduction in unplanned downtime
- 67% increase in equipment/process performance efficiency (that’s free capacity!)
- 70% reduction in maintenance (fix/repair) costs
Autonomous Maintenance (AM) is the foundation of TPM and the focus of the Maintenance Miracle event. AM is not really a miracle, but a proven process that partners operators, maintenance technicians, engineers, and leaders in the operation and maintenance of equipment.
In this 3½ day event, participants will gain an understanding of the seven steps of Autonomous Maintenance and the fundamental techniques of 5S and Visual Controls and develop the skills to stabilize equipment performance and stop deterioration by learning to:
- Construct, Perform, and Adhere to cleaning, inspection and lubrication
- Create one-point lessons (OPL).
- Basic information OPL which ensures adherence to standard work.
- Improvement Bulletin OPL which documents and allows horizontal
expansion of new best practices as they are discovered.
- Identify equipment abnormalities.
- Identify and create equipment improvements/contamination controls.
Working in teams alongside associates from the host facility, participants will apply the methods learned to equipment in the workplace which reinforces the learning that has taken place during the classroom sessions through actual application.
At the conclusion of the event, you will understand the techniques and have the skills to begin an autonomous maintenance effort in your facility.
In this session, participants will learn:
- The role of autonomous maintenance in a Total Productive Maintenance program.
- The value of team-based equipment care.
- The seven steps of Autonomous Maintenance and how to apply
them to improve equipment and process reliability.
- To create Provisional Standards – the new equipment care standards.
- How to create One Point Lessons.
- How to make minor improvements to equipment design to make it easier
- How identifying and correcting equipment abnormalities will make
- The yellow and blue tag system that perpetuates the process of abnormality identification, correction and low-cost equipment enhancement.
- To successfully transfer the “ownership” of the equipment
to the production staff.
- How to build diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
Created to teach the 7-steps of Autonomous Maintenance and demonstrate a process for conducting AM Steps 1-3 in your facility.
Host Plant: To Be Determined
Day 1 activities include:
- Overview of the TPM strategy and competitive advantage
- TPM exercise and discussion on vision and “zero” goals
- Autonomous Maintenance Step 1: Conducting the Initial Cleaning and Inspection
- Equipment Team assignments.
Hands on Activity
- Shop-Floor Implementation of Autonomous Maintenance Step 1
Day 2 activities include:
- Team progress reports
- Five why analysis
- One point lessons
- Autonomous Maintenance Step 2: Eliminating Contamination and Inaccessible Areas
- Autonomous Maintenance Step 3: Establishing Provisional Standards
Hands on Activity
- Shop-Floor Implementation – continue Step 1, apply Steps 2 and 3
Day 3 activities include:
- Team progress reports
- Autonomous Maintenance Step 4: General Inspection Development and Training, Step 5: Conducting General Inspections, and Step 6: Workplace Management and Control
- Discussion of Step 7: Advanced Improvement Activities
Hands on Activity
- Shop-Floor Implementation – continue Steps 1-3
Dinner and Team Presentation Preparation
12:00pm Workshop adjourns
Full curriculum is available in the event brochure.*
Walt Miller, former Operations Excellence Coach with Cummins Inc. has been a long-time supporter of this program. Here’s how he describes the benefits he and his teams have derived from attending…
“As we continue to struggle in manufacturing to be competitive against challengers from
all over the globe it is critical for us as leaders to get every bit of value out of our equipment, our process, and our people.
I have been to six Maintenance Miracles. We have brought with us members of our team
that we have identified as key to our implementation of our TPM program. This group of folks range from operators, maintenance support members, senior and mid-level managers, and engineers. With this kind of diversity of people it is critical that the program address each and every one of their needs in supporting and understanding TPM.
I believe your program does this. The combination of half the time in the classroom and half in actual hands-on exercise is key. My team comes away from the event inspired and knowledgeable on how to implement TPM back in the plant.”
WHAT PAST ATTENDEES ARE SAYING…
“Very instructive and well-run event. Having the ability to implement the tools we were
learning created an ideal platform to learn the principle to applying TPM in our own facility.”
Monte Goins – TPM Coordinator – Crown Equipment
“I’ve learned it is way cheaper to be proactive.”
Jeff Pleinis – Turning Center Lead – Goodrich
“In the 40 years of maintenance this was the one to attend. Excellent job by the instructor.
The host plant was great.”
John Akins – Maintenance Team Manager – Sun Products Corp.
“Very good in applying principles of TPM and emulating the process in a manufacturing environment—hands on. Re-emphasizes the importance of the “human factor” in attaining reliability.”
Tim Davis – Engineering Manager—Continuous Improvement – Ventura Foods
ABOUT YOUR HOSTS
Check back for full details about our plant host!
Productivity Inc. is a leading consulting and training firm that helps organizations build new capabilities, save money, and grow. We focus on three progressive strategies: Operational Excellence, Innovation Systems and Leadership Development.
Working together, these strategies provide the means to continually refresh a company’s value proposition while making the organizational changes needed for daily improvement and sustainable growth.
We pioneered the implementation of Lean and TPM methodologies in manufacturing in the late 1970s. Since then, we have extended these methodologies across a wide range of industries, including healthcare, finance, and other service industries.
Today, our time-tested management system, motion™ provides organizations with:
- a uniquely comprehensive approach to implementing Lean across an entire enterprise, incorporating assessment, leadership, and business renewal.
- a robust process for innovation to develop an organization-wide capability to create new forms of value – reliably, predictably, repeatedly.
More than simply a Lean consulting firm, Productivity Inc. can provide you with a variety of methodologies to keep your enterprise in motion™.