Hoshin Kanri: Deploying Priorities, From Vision to Daily Work
A live 6-hour virtual seminar – October 27th
Regrouping and refocusing your organization now, to concentrate on the vital few -- those things that will make a real difference to your organization’s performance -- seems a prudent thing to do. But how do you take all of the things there are to do, distill them down to the critical few and then defuse them throughout the entire organization? Through Hoshin Kanri.Register Now
We invite leaders to learn the Hoshin Kanri (Policy Deployment) process to align their organization (and departments) on their key business priorities
Transforming an organization into one that is operationally excellent requires a long-term customer-focused, company-wide strategy. Management committees must define and continuously refine the strategic drivers of the organization and deploy them to ensure everyone is aligned and working toward the same goal. This process is known as Hoshin Kanri.
The fundamental purpose of Hoshin Kanri is to focus a company’s efforts on very well-defined initiatives to align and mobilize SBU’s, plants, departments, operational teams and all supporting personnel. It is a leadership-driven strategic process which gives clarity to everyone on where the company is going and what is important to the long-term, while creating the structure for regular review and renewal.
In this session, we will share our practical experiences of Hoshin Kanri in the context of a Lean transformation, calling upon experience acquired in a variety of business environments. Learn how to build the plan, starting at the Executive committee level and to cascade it down to the team level. We will also introduce the Catchball process, a key component which creates local ownership by allowing for plan feedback and adjustments.
We will demonstrate how the plan highlights the need for enterprise-wide waste elimination and review and discuss the key performance indicators, targets to improve, and countermeasures that will ensure you remain on course and that your improvement initiatives are meeting your strategic goals.
We will then illustrate the Hoshin Kanri deployment process in a real case study, presenting its impacts and the difficulties encountered, and we will suggest some practical recommendations to start and implement the process.
Participants will learn:
- key concepts and principles of Hoshin Kanri (policy deployment)
- the 5 steps of policy deployment and how to use the X-Matrix at each level
- the link between Hoshin Kanri and daily management
- the connection between Hoshin Kanri and team empowerment
- the link between workplace metrics and strategic objectives
- the 4-level performance review system ensuring success
- Interactive presentation on Policy Deployment and its structure
- Presentation of the Catchball process
- Capture themes on participants’ current state
- Desired state, what’s missing?
- Breakout discussion – agreement on gaps, creating the case for change
- Case Study – participants organize and work in teams focusing on a real-time case study to identify the main strategic issues and develop the Executive Committee X-Matrix, and an example of the level 1 deployment
- Teams report on proposed solutions
- Examples of the actual implemented Policy Deployment processes
- Example of the link between the X-Matrix and the visual management in the workplace
- Discussion on effective implementation; what is the recommended course of action?
- Next steps – 90-day action plan
This session is taught using a combination of lecture, group discussion and case studies based on actual implementations and follows the schedule below:
12:30pm-1:00pm – break
3:00pm-3:30pm – break